Pages

Friday, August 14, 2015

Back to School

As I prepare for students to return to the classroom I am mentally going through the list of things I need to do to prepare for students in 10 days. My first year teaching I sent out welcome letters to all my students. I used it as a way to introduce myself and let students know a little about what we would learn and my expectations for the school year. I had several parents tell me how much their students enjoyed receiving mail from their teacher. I have always meant to send out letters as the year begins, but as I get overwhelmed with other things that need to happen at the beginning of the school year. This year, I am proud to say that I am more prepared than usual for the school year to begin, so, I am thinking once again on sending out letters to students in my classroom.
This article in edutopia about back to school letters renewed my desire to send out letters to the students in my classroom. I love that they provided an example and the thought of sending out homework for the students and parents. I love the idea of getting a letter from the parents that lets me know more about their child. It would be a great way to get to know the students in your classroom. What are some ways that you get to know students from the start of the school year?

2 comments:

  1. One thing that I like to do with my students at the beginning of the year is to send home a paper for the students to fill out with their parents. There are a bunch of boxes that they have to fill in memories. Some say holidays, family trips, sports, etc. Then they bring it back and keep it in their reading/writing binders. Then when they "don't have anything to write about," they can refer to this paper with a bunch of memories on it and choose one to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think letters is a great idea! I teach high school so I have upwards of 180 students and getting to know each individual one is something that I struggle with! I do my best to make connections with every student daily but it is definitely hard just because of numbers! I think that you have a great idea with the letters. I would have loved getting a letter from my teacher!

    ReplyDelete