Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Words

As the beginning of the school year quickly approaches I have been doing more of my summer reading. This time of year always causes me to focus on what routines I want to teacher and what I want those first few days and weeks of school to look like. I have been reading Choice Words by Peter H. Johnston and came across an article on edutopia entitled 13 Common Sayings to Avoid. I am more and more struck by how the things we say as teachers impact and influence the students in our classrooms.
The article on edutopia was great because for every phrase it suggested we shouldn't be saying it offered an alternative. Some of the sayings that were pointed out were things that I never say, however there were some things that the author Dr. Richard Curwin suggested teachers not say that I do say. It was a great opportunity for me to think about alternatives to those phrases and how that might impact my classroom environment.
Choice Words is a great book that has helped me to reflect on the language that I use with students in my classroom. I appreciate the research information as well as the examples that are provided. Some of the examples are phrased in a way that I wouldn't have thought to say, however they make so much sense.
Reading this book and article initially I felt like there was a lot of pressure to say the right thing and not mess up. I understand, however, that we are all human and like everything this reading has given me the opportunity to try a little harder to be a little better. Are there any words/phrases that you avoid in your classroom?

1 comment:

  1. I also read that Edutopia article. I thought it was a great reminder as well. I agree that some of the phrases are something I would never dream of saying.
    A colleague once told me the way you phrase commands is so important. If you say, "No running," or, "Stop running," the last thing they hear is "running." If you say, "Please use your walking feet," then they heat what they are supposed to be doing.

    ReplyDelete