Pages

Monday, August 3, 2015

Student-Led Classroom: Video Entry

In the reading of my book Learn Like a Pirate by Paul Solarz I have been reading about students-led classrooms. I have implemented daily 5 into my classroom routines which gives students responsibility to take charge of their learning. My favorite thing about daily 5 is that students are in charge of what they learn. As I have reflected on daily 5 and read about how Paul Solarz runs his classroom I have been thinking more about how important it is for students to take charge of their learning. This is not to say that I will allow students to take charge of my classroom tomorrow. However, I have been seriously thinking about how I will be encouraging my students to collaborate and work together on a task that is important and meaningful to them. As I have been thinking about this I found this TED talk where Ken Robinson discusses how our students (and all of us) learn in different ways and have different talents. I love the analogy he uses that we have built our education system on the model of fast food. As I prepare for the year I hope that I can make my students feel more like they are at a Michelin restaurant, where everything is not standardized, and less like they are at McDonalds, where everything is the same for everyone.

 


Video: https://www.ted.com/talks/sir_ken_robinson_bring_on_the_revolution/transcript?language=en

8 comments:

  1. I love daily 5. How was that book? I want to read it! I love your analogy. I am not sure if you have heard of KAGAN, but it is a great way to engage students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still reading this book and finding so many ways to engage my students in the classroom and give them more freedom in the classroom. I will have to look up KAGAN. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea in theory, but you're right, it would be great to navigate away from one size fits all education. PBL is a great way to get kids more involved in shaping their own learning. Even in second grade. I also love the idea of 20% time. Kids get 20% of their time to pursue any interest, project or research idea. I really want to implement that this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 20% time! It would be a great motivator for students in my classroom. I typically do a catch up time on Friday's but I think that 20% time would be even better!

      Delete
  3. I've been hearing so much about the Daily 5 lately - seems like it's an amazing idea and I'm definitely going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I have done it 2 out of the 3 last years and I regret the year I didn't implement Daily 5, it was not a great year.

      Delete
  4. I am a big fan of student directed learning. If students choose their path, they will naturally tend to be more focused and engaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I learn about it the more excited I get about it! I think it is so important for students to take control of their learning. It will help students develop the skills necessary to work as they grow. Thanks!

      Delete