Pages

Monday, August 3, 2015

Guest Blog Entry

I know this is late, but her experiences and reflection is so profound I have to share. This post is thanks to Rachel Martel a high school friend of mine who has spent the last few years finding ways to  coordinate and lead humanitarian trips. As soon as I read her thoughts I looked at my master contract to see how soon I could take a sabbatical and get out to see the world. Enjoy...


Serving others; learning from and connecting with people; as well as experiencing different cultures and seeing others in their element, have all been driving forces in my life, as well as elements I consider to be embedded within my nature. 

Growing up with my family, I had the unique opportunity of living in Germany, Canada and Idaho. When I was 21, I had the experience of living in Romania for a year and a half. In 2010, I was able to participate in my first humanitarian trip to Nepal. Since then, I have found my niche in coordinating and leading humanitarian trips, and have been able to experience various cultures and learn from incredible people while serving in Kenya, Guatemala, Peru, Cambodia, Israel, Jordan and Egypt, and many more to come. 

Many of the Romanians I met, wanted to know know why I would choose to come to Romania when I was from the United States and must have lived an ideal life - from what they had seen and heard of America on television. Many Romanians wanted a better life and dreamed that would be found in America. At the same time, I felt that leaving my home in America and all that was familiar to me, was a way in which I learned how to live a better life. I witnessed the daily struggle to survive that many Romanians faced - how to have enough food to feed their family, and how parents could help their children have a better life with greater opportunities than they had. 

It is the people and one's relationships in life that that truly determine happiness. This principle was first cemented into my mind and heart during my time in Romania, and I am constantly reminded of this truth each time I visit a humble village. The families and children I interact with are evidence of this principle. They live in huts, sleep on the ground, have no electricity, some walk long distances in order to have access to water, whether it's from an unclean pond or a bio-sand filtration system built for their village. They have their families and their happy hearts - and this sustains them. The most humble, giving and happiest people I have met, have been those that have very few material possessions. They have nothing, and it brings them great joy to give all they have to others. 

Returning after a humanitarian trip is often a difficult transition for me. I come home changed. For the previous two weeks, life was simple, unplugged from technology, nothing was "on demand," resources were fully utilized, and conversations were focused on deeper, richer, soul-searching topics. These experiences realign my priorities - I come back refocused on the things that matter most in my life - the people. I fight to not fall back into all my previous routines, while the noises around me try to force their way back into my head. First world problem conversations, entitlement, lack of patience for the internet not being fast enough, water not being hot enough, buying more and giving into conveniences, as well as many others, are conversations and actions I see governing others' lives. Moments like these remind me to slow down and focus on what matters most in life.
I love the quote by John Dewey, which states, "We do not learn from experience, we learn from reflecting on experience." Allowing the moments of life to seep into our souls, provides opportunity for us to choose to change and be influenced. Experiencing cultures and people is an invitation to see the world outside yourself. 


1 comment:

  1. Erika, I'm glad that you shared this anyway. Beyond the better late than undone aspect (in terms of grading), you asked someone to take the time to write something for you. Posting it - even late - is the right thing to do as a thanks for that time. Well done!

    ReplyDelete